Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Stretching our legs

Entering motherhood for the first time you very quickly come to realize how much of your life must come to a standstill to make room for taking care of your little one while recovering from labor.
You realize this pretty much the first day home from the hospital when you first learn that going to the bathroom means either finding someone to hold the baby or listen to him cry whole-heartedly the entire time.
Which reminds me of something else you will quickly come to realize: hearing your own baby cry is totally heart wrenching and you begin to see how easy it is to spoil a baby.
And hold it as long as possible when you need to pee.
Once I saw how much of my daily activities ceased, I sort of took some enjoyment in it. My daily routine no longer existed, and going forward it was now going to be me and Zachary feeling out our new daily routine. And there may not even BE a routine for a while.
Cuz babies or so totally unpredictable - realization #3.
So here we are, embarking on a new adventure every day. And with each morning we consider what we're feeling up to accomplishing throughout the rest of the day. And as the days go on, we accomplish a little bit more.
Last week we finally walked all the way to the park next to the beach. Zach was feeling quite lenient about letting me walk that far - as he slept the whole way and only woke up to fuss when we got close to home. Our next goal is to actually make it all the way to the beach and walk along the pathways there. As Zach's naps are becoming deeper and longer I think we may be able to accomplish this in just a few days.
This week we were able to go to the grocery story for a long shopping trip - something I used to procrastinate on, and now it's something I find myself taking pride in.
That'll wear off fast I'm sure. But in the meantime, I don't mind being easily amused.
And today we made it on the freeway and actually drove 15 minutes to Target for a short shopping errand.
So very decadent.
My little co-pilot is becoming very generous I must admit.

3 comments:

hannah m said...

Isn't it the best to have a little partner in crime wherever you go? It is one of my favorite parts of motherhood--we talk and visit the entire time we do errands. Well, mostly it's me talking and visiting, but I just know that Vivian understands me in her own way!

Tiffany said...

Can't wait to see you guys when the non-routine becomes a bit more lenient!

Michele said...

Awww, sounds wonderful!