Monday, June 18, 2007

Subtlety is key

For the time being it's just the little subtle changes that I'm noticing.
My appetite was the first thing - going from not being interested in eating a single bite of food to ALL OF A SUDDEN having the hunger of 15 year old boy in, oh, about 10 seconds. I still haven't learned to keep snacks in the car for when the sudden hunger occurs. Saturday I was THIS close to pulling over at an In 'n Out Burger and ordering 2 cheeseburgers animal style with a side of fries when I wasn't sure I could make the 20 minute drive home.
The next thing I noticed was the increased body temperature and heart rate. I'm like a walking furnace most of the time - which is kind of a nice change from the walking Polar Ice Cap I'm used to being.
The heart rate thing is a bit of a nuisance though since I already have to watch my pulse when exercising given that I'm pregnant. Which means that since I've already got a slightly increased heart rate and I can only let it get so high - I can only go so fast on the machines at the gym.
Which means I basically look like I'm running in slow motion through Jello.
And for the last little neato-bandito side effect of baby making that I've been enjoying lately is the mental spaciness.
The fact that I was actually able to make it through this blog entry without either getting side-tracked, derailed, or forget what the hell I was doing altogether is pretty miraculous.
In fact, pre-pregnancy, I was pretty guilty of committing all 3 offenses on a regular basis.
Perhaps this is having a counter-effect on my blogging?
In any case, it's pretty annoying.
The other night I almost stopped at the grocery store to pick up some avocados to have with our dinner - when I knew we already had 2 at home because Trevor picked some up for me the day before. And I totally would have gone and bought them if it wasn't for Trevor REMINDING me that we already had some.
The other day after I went to the gym at lunch, like I have for YEARS, I was getting ready for my shower and discovered that I hadn't packed a towel.
I can't even begin to chip the iceberg on all the brain farts I've had at work.
And what's worse is that no one knows I'm pregnant yet so they must just think I've turned into this flaky space cadet.
I feel sorry for my coworkers.

No comments: