Friday, June 15, 2007

Listeria Hysteria

Here's a little interesting piece of information that I imagine NO ONE KNOWS: When pregnant you should abstain from eating deli meats.
Stop this pregnancy train - I want OFF.
When I read that in one of my 241 pregnancy books I had to reread it.
3 times.
In fact, I read it 3 times - put the book down, went about my business for a couple days and then had to reread it AGAIN.
Deli meat??
Apparently since most deli meats are not in fact COOKED - but SMOKED - they can harbor Listeria. A little nuisance of a bacteria that we pregnant ladies like to avoid as it does things like make us unpregnant.
And if that wasn't bad enough, Trevor was so kind as to point out this would also include Salami and Prosciutto - 2 of my favorite sandwich fixings.
I was relieved to hear that I can at least eat these items as long as they are cooked thoroughly until piping hot. So I can still have Pepperoni on my pizza, and Prosciutto in some of my favorite Prosciutto-laden recipes.
But no turkey sandwiches? No Ham and cheese paninis?
Why was I not WARNED?
I want legal recourse!
And damn it - this is making me HUNGRY.

1 comment:

Michele said...

I JUST recently learned this too! I had NO idea. What the heck are you supposed to eat for lunch??