Monday, October 20, 2008

My little Popeye

Starting solids has been no quick and easy task for me and Zach. It has been mentioned in previous posts (it is with near-exaggeration that I pluralized the word "post") that he has approached transitioning to solids with much lackluster.
Tonight I looked into the pantry to decide what would be on the Junior Menu this evening and found a jar of spinach and potatoes - something that Zach has yet to try.
Cracking it open I took one look at it and grew very skeptical - the puree resembling something you might skim off the walls of an aquarium. After taking a whiff I was surprised to find out that it doesn't smell much better either. And finally taking a taste (as I find it hard to feed my kid something I won't at least try myself) I found that, yes, seriously, it really does taste like what I imagine algae to taste like.
Let us be clear - I have NOT tasted algae before so I am not certain.
This is only an assumption I am making on my part, and assuming is as far as I will go.
With much doubt I spooned a small helping into Zach's bowl and imagine my surprise when my little peach-hating, avocado-scoffing, pear-ignoring child took a big mouthful and didn't immediately spit it out.
Something I was tempted to do when I tasted it.
And imagine my sheer indignation when he took another spoonful. And then another.
In fact, I'm writing this post while lying on the floor.

3 comments:

Goat said...

well since you dressed him up like a turtle maybe he thinks he's supposed to eat algae...

Michele said...

He is a strange child indeed!

nisahal said...

So if I could, I would send you lots of kale and chard from my greenhouse where all is not dead like what lies outside the greenhouse (well, not everything) becuase it sometimes gets really cold. Maybe I could dry some and send it. Then, if you have a blender, you can feed some to Zach. I know why he loves his greens- he's related to me! I read the other day that adults are supposed to eat three cups of green leafy things a week. I have three cups with lunch and dinner every day- so that would be 42 cups a week. Zach will clearly need more from the look of things. Time to start that vegetable garden....