Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunny with a chance of sweat

It's only been 80 degrees here and it still feels like a heat wave out of mid August. All of a sudden the weather went from downright perfect to hot as hell, forcing us to break out shorts and tank tops, throw open all the windows and sleep through the night with only a light cotton sheet.
And I have to keep reminding myself that it's only been 80 degrees during the day.
It's ridiculous.
This happens every year, usually about this time, when the weather goes from a perfect 70 degrees to over 80. Our bodies are so used to the colder winter months, that we have somehow forgot how pleasant 80 degrees feels after a 5 day stretch of 98 degrees.
And this year I'm doing it with a little space heater attached to my hip.
If I ever have a choice about it, I'm going to make sure that we plan the next baby to be born well during the winter - just like Zach - because I can't imagine having to recover from child birth, and lying around the house with an infant in this weather. And next time it will be with an energetic toddler testing my patience and alcohol limitations.
Just like any other man, Zach has been blessed with being perpetually warm. Not such a blessing to me as it turns out, not when it's hot out and I'm the one who's spending the most time holding him.
He's still a bit of a momma's boy.
So I've resorted to just live with it - and taking two showers a day.
And hopefully this "heat wave" will pass soon and I can return to snuggling with my son without breaking out in a sweat and sticking to him.

2 comments:

hannah m said...

When Vivian was born in August, I couldn't believe that a waif-y barely 5 pound preemie could generate so much heat! It was shocking. This weekend was a reminder of those early days - all of us sweaty, baby in diaper only, praying for a breeze! (But isn't it wonderful?)

Michele said...

I love the warmer weather, but it does make cuddling a little less fun and a lot more sweaty.