Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Step 1: Admit you have a problem.

One more week and I came come out of the closet.
It's about time.
I'm certainly excited about finally being able to share the exciting news, but I think it's the secret keeping that's driving me the most nuts.
A person can only come up with so many excuses as to why they're not drinking.
Especially when said person is usually found with a glass of wine in her hand at parties.
I would like to take this moment to point out my Blogger picture on the right.
Point made.
So, my friends are all either suspicious I'm pregnant, or in AA.
This last weekend nearly did me in when I went to lunch with one friend at this great Tapas place.
Tapas.
You know...Spanish for: Must eat with Sangria.
Fortunately I was able to quickly feign fatigue and claim that a nice caffeine pick-me-up was what I needed. So 2 Diet Cokes with lime were ordered and the Sangria was quietly avoided.
Sadly my alcohol avoiding was not coming to an end anytime soon though.
Off to a baby shower was next on the agenda for the two of us.
And upon arriving I was immediately offered a glass of red wine.
Fortunately the gracious hostess realized almost immediately upon offering me the red wine that most red wines give me raging headaches.
Only, I was not to get off that easy...
"Oh! But we DO have champagne if you would like that!"
(Damn, damn, THINK, damn, THINK FAST...)
"You know, in this heat I think wine will just make me sleepy. I think I'll start off with some water instead."
And thankfully my lunch companion decided to opt for water as well.
So at least I was looking no more pregnant at that moment than she was.
And then came the champagne toast later.
By this point I was convinced that if I didn't take the champagne, I would be nailed for sure.
Apparently I have this opinion of myself that I am SUCH an alcoholic that for me to not drink would be HUGE and everyone would notice and think something was horrifically wrong.
I think very highly of myself in other words.
But no one seemed to notice when I opted for the sparkling cider instead.
They probably all see through me by now anyway.
They all know.
They all know, and I'm the one who doesn't know that they know.
But ha!
I am on to THEM.
I know, they know.
And now THEY are the ones that DON'T know, that I know, that they know.
Heh.

1 comment:

Michele said...

When everyone seems to making the announcement that they are pregnant, I would think YOU not drinking WOULD be a dead giveaway!